Thursday 7 March 2013

Shake! '13 @SLCT, The Low down...


Having completed our first Shake! intensive for 2013 we are bursting with ideas, continuity projects and creative ways to use our voices to shake things up. The week at the Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust was truly inspiring, uplifting and emotional.

Through invigorating and eye-opening discussions, skill-shares, workshops and via the mediums of spoken word poetry, film, documentary, visiting guest artist/activists, and international web link-ups we addressed a variety of topics of injustice (power, tar sands, creative campaigning, gender, race, media and mental health).

The caliber and rigor of ideas, opinions and artwork definitely shook us up and over the next few weeks we look forward to sharing some of this with you. So watch this space!

Here’s what some of the Shake!rs had to say:


“Thank you for a wonderful week, for your enthusiasm and for providing a space for openness & creativity. I look forward to continuing my relationship with Shake! I have been inspired to feel as though I can really make a difference, even on a small scale. I have realized the importance of engaging with my creativity and thinking about the way I think ☺”

"This week has been life changing!”

“I have learnt so much that I didn’t even know I didn’t know. I have met people who are amazing, incredible, inspiring who I never would have come into contact with.”

“It’s been fascinating sharing this journey with you, it’s been a reminder of values and ideas I believe in. Carry on the journey and keep refreshing your spirit.”

“One of the most inspiring and energising weeks I can remember... it will definitely get me through my next batch of essays! Looking forward to the next steps...”



A big thank you to the Shake!rs (Adam, Amariah, Annie, Ceris, Catherine, Christina, Dershe, Holly, Ifty, Kate, Khafilat, Nathaniel, Saif, Umaru) for helping create such an honest, warm, humorous, trusting and stimulating environment. Welcome to the Shake! fam, and we looking forward to continued growth and learning with you.

If you are interested in getting involved in our next Shake! intensive this summer at the Bernie Grant Arts Centre or would like to know more, get in touch at: farzana@platformlondon.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment